Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Dear One-Year-Old Rya D.,

I attempted to start a little growth project similar to your brother's and it so didn't work out. I've been thinking about it for weeks now and couldn't decide what to do. I thought maybe a picture of you in a bathing suit every year? Or your grandmother's fur coat? Or a t-shirt? Your dad wanted a Dallas Cowboys t-shirt and I wanted a Patriots t-shirt. Luckily, I couldn't find a Dallas Cowboys t-shirt so we went with a Patriots t-shirt picture. You refused to cooperate and you just cried and cried. Your father loved every second of it and claimed it proved that you're a Cowboys fan. Whatever, I don't care.

After putting you to bed it hit me. I want you to have your grandmother's diamond and sapphire ring. It's incredibly special. It's an heirloom. It has a story. And it's yours when you turn 18. Until then, I'll always take a picture of you wearing it on your birthday. Sure beats a stupid t-shirt don't it!?

Happy birthday Rya Diane.

All my love,
Mama

3 comments:

Amy said...

Super sweet post and darling picture. Happy birthday, Rya!

The Andres said...

Love the idea, Coleen! So sweet and she will surely treasure such a nice gift from her namesake.

Meg said...

Perfection...