Monday, January 23, 2012

Paolo's Recovery

Paolo is much happier to be at home with his pack.  The life is back in his eyes and if he could wag his tail I’m sure it would be going crazy!  Paolo remains paraplegic and caring for him is an exhausting and daunting task.  He has no control of his bladder or bowels so his bedding needs to be changed every two hours.  His positioning need to be rotated so he doesn’t get bed sores and his legs need to be exercised to prevent atrophy.  It’s like caring for a newborn and to be completely honest I wonder if we made the right decision by putting him through this surgery rather than putting him down.    

And then I see how happy he is snuggling on Bruco or one of the kids and I know that we made the right decision.  We didn't choose the easy path as our lives have been turned completely upside down but I have to believe that Paolo will recover and live a normal life.  He just has to—he’s a fighter and he has moxie.  Keep the prayers and healing energy coming.  

4 comments:

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

What a sweetheart -- all of you. Forza Paolo! xx

Pam & Allison said...

How are you? My heart goes out to you and Trent and the kids. I wish there was something I could do to help. We think of you often and keep Paolo in our healing thoughts and wishes...Pam & Allison Bartlett.

Jenny said...

I WILL pray for him and you all. Thank you for seeing this lil' fellow as important, when many would say, "He's JUST a dog!" (Humans can be so arrogant)I don't know what we would do without these wonderful beings!!
Please visit me too...
Take care,
Jenny

Anonymous said...

Hi All,I came across this blog for pure coincidence.When my beloved dog was hit by a car in 1997,I was really thinking to put him asleep.I was wrong.She lived with us for another 5 years.After the first 7/8 months the new life style condition turns almost normal for the dog but It is tireness for you if you don't love your dog enough or you don't have enough respect for life.Here a HUGE Help. http://www.k9carts.com/ Ciao! Davide