Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A Visit With Paul Newman

Cornelius, my dad from Newburyport MA, came for a visit. Cornelius thinks he looks like Paul Newman and has been known to pass by a mirror, wink at himself and say, "Looking good Newman!" My father is a lover of jigsaw puzzles, Moxie soda, scratch tickets, onion rings, horse races, ice cream and dirty jokes. He arrived last Tuesday and stayed until yesterday afternoon.

This was my dad's first time meeting Rya and he was smitten by her. Rya and her Papa share a special connection. Rya Diane is named after the love of his life and she was born on his birthday, November 17th.
During my dad's week long visit, he tagged along to Currier's swim lessons and got a little taste of Currier's naughty/wild side—two near drownings because he disobeyed instructions to stay on the steps, several scoldings by the teacher for splashing the other children in class and one big yank out of the pool by his Mama for not paying attention. *Sigh* My father of course snickered at my frustrations and said, "Payback is a bitch ain't it!"

Most my dad's visit was spent at the pool but one day we mixed it up and headed over to the Isle of Palms for a day. We played in the sand, swam in the warm ocean, ate a picnic lunch, admired the oceanfront mansions and left with sunburned cheeks and shoulders.
You can't spend a week with my dad and not have ice cream. We had several ice cream outings. My dad is an ice cream connoisseur and gave Marble Slab Creamery the thumbs up. If you haven't been to one of these chains, you must. You select your desired ice cream and toppings and they scoop it onto a frozen marble slab and blend it all together. Wicked yum!

On my dad's final day with us we took him downtown Charleston and went to the Pavilion Rooftop Bar where we sipped drinks while overlooking the best view of historic Charleston.

It was a good visit and we hope Mr. Paul Newman will grace us with his presence again soon.

2 comments:

Meg said...

Well he is a mighty fine PN look alike, if I do say so myself!! I'm glad you guys had a good visit. Since we all know you were a perfect angel as a child tell that son of yours to stop being a naughty stinker tush or Aunt Meagan will "git'em" (with love of course)!!

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

Looks like a great family visit.