Saturday, September 1, 2012

Hitting the Wall

I ran ten miles this morning with the Try Sports Run Club.  We ran from the Sullivan's Island Fire Station to Shem Creek and back.  It was a great run until mile nine. That was when my runner's high wore off and all I felt was pain.  Excruciating pain! My mind was flooded with self doubt and for a few crazy minutes I started second guessing this goal, fantasizing about stuffing my face with pancakes and wondering if I overslept and this was all just a nightmare?  I guess this is what runners refer to as "hitting the wall".  It took every ounce of mental strength to pick myself up and muster up the will to keep going.  I've spent most of my day laying in bed recovering and hydrating my silly, starved brain with lots of water and carbs.  Next week we're up to twelve miles.  Dear God, please don't let me experience the dreaded "shitting pants in public"! 

No comments: