Tuesday, July 22, 2008

A Weekend Visit From Cheryl & Sue

My cousin Cheryl and her friend Sue flew in from Massachusetts late Thursday evening for a long weekend visit. As we do with all of our guests, we treated them like VIPs and put them up in the most plush quarters.

On Friday morning, we woke to grey skies with bursts of sprinkles so we ditched any hopes of tanning by the pool or ocean and just took a ride to the Isle of Palms. It stopped raining long enough for us to dip our toes in the warm Atlantic and for Currier to jump in fully dressed.

Friday evening, we had reservations at Fleet Landing, a seafood restaurant with an exceptional view of the Charleston harbor. While we waited for our table, we sat at the bar where Cheryl and Sue tried Mint Juleps for the first time. Although they had to choke back every sip, they still managed to polish off their refreshments like good Southern Belles. For dinner we shared several appetizers, one of which was lobster and shrimp stuffed hush puppies—yum! After dinner we took a leisurely walk along the waterfront before picking up Currier from his pizza party at My Gym.
On Saturday we took a boat tour to Fort Sumter which is best known as the site where the first shots of the American Civil War were fired on April 12, 1861.

On Sunday morning Cheryl woke feeling mucho sicko. Apparently she caught the malicious bug that invaded my body a few days prior to her arrival and Trent's body the day of her arrival. The bug, we dubbed the "South Carolina gut rot", caused severe vomiting and diarrhea and made you feel like you were on the brink of death. Thankfully my OBGYN prescribed some good drugs to help suppress the vomiting which I was nice enough to share with Cheryl so her illness wasn't as violent and didn't last too long.

By Sunday afternoon, Cheryl was feeling well enough to take a dip in the pool and spend a few hours in the sun. It was refreshing until she upchucked a 1/2 gallon of Gatorade in the parking lot—poor Cheryleeski.
On Monday, Currier and I dropped the girls off downtown Charleston so they could take a horse carriage tour, eat lunch and shop. Later that afternoon, we dropped them off at the airport where Currier caused a scene with his mournful goodbye. Cheryl and Sue were so sweet to Currier. He was crushed to see them go.

No comments: