Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Seat Belt Sign Has Been Turned On

This picture is in no way at all an accurate representation of how our trip to the States really went down! This cozy moment only lasted for about fifteen minutes. The rest of our twenty six hour trip from Catania to Charleston was torture. Many years ago when I was a flight attendant, I once judged mothers that were unable to control their children or quiet a crying baby during flight. Let me assure you that I have been fully paid back for that sin.

My meticulously prepared carry-on suitcase contained coloring books, crayons, markers, animal stickers, story books, choo choo trains, motorcycles, matchbox cars, a portable DVD player, all of Currier’s favorite videos, 2 blankies, a favorite stuffed animal, snacks, candy and lollipops and NOTHING entertained Currier more than running up and down the aisles. Unfortunately, we were urged to stay in our seats with our seat belts fastened during a majority of the flight due to turbulence and of course trying to explain this to a 20 month old child is like explaining interest rates to a dog.

While Currier wailed, everyone on board took turns turning around to give “the horrible mother” a dirty, nasty look. I hung my head in shame and wished that all those gawkers would lose their luggage or miss their connecting flights. At one point, I actually had to go into the bathroom to bawl my eyes out because I was so frustrated. I remember looking in the bathroom mirror at an ugly, exhausted woman and saying, “I hate being a mother right now!” and I wondered if I could ever look back on this moment and laugh. Good thing I’m resilient but not resilient enough to get on another airplane with Currier until he’s 21 and able to buy his Mama some first class overpriced inflight cocktails.

No comments: