Saturday, January 12, 2008

Paolo's Nine Lives

Like a cat perched on a windowsill basking in the sunlight, our sweet Paolo is doing much better and once again enjoying his life and bringing joy to ours. His horrendous run in with poisonous mushrooms just twelve hours before our flight departure from Sicily to America was absolutely, ridiculously terrifying. I'll spare you descriptions of the vomit and diarrhea, but I will say that I've never seen anything like it. The mushrooms not only brought on a vile sickness but also made Paolo trip. I know this because he told me. In his hallucination, he was the talking dog Brian from the Family Guy and I was the cartoon character Lois Griffin and we danced to the beat of Jefferson Airplane’s White RabbitAnd you've just had some kind of mushroom and your mind is moving low. Go ask Alice I think she'll know. Wait a minute, which one of us was tripping?

Seriously, we really thought Paolo was going to die. Paolo is the dog that we rescued after being hit by a car as a puppy. He has trouble breathing. He has constant health problems. Paolo just has bad luck. One time he ate one of those little rubber chicken toys and had to "deliver" the freaking thing with labor pains and all. I've seen some weird stuff in my life, but seeing a chicken emerge out of my dog's butt was definitely in my top five weirdest things I've ever seen. Paolo is like a cat with nine lives. Let’s hope he keeps landing on his feet because I'm kind of crazy about the little guy.

No comments: