Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Those Damn Dogs

While we were in Tennessee, we hired a pet sitter to come by the house several times a day to check in on the dogs. The first night at the cabin in between dinner and the birthday cake I got a call from Katy, the pet sitter, saying that Paolo was struggling to breathe. When Paolo was hit by a truck as a puppy his nose was deformed beyond repair. He always struggles a little bit to breathe but when Katy held the phone up to Paolo's face I could clearly hear that he was in distress. Katy rushed Paolo to the emergency vet for x-rays and tests while I sat on the front porch of the cabin a couple States away and helplessly cried. It turned out that Paolo had a terrible sinus infection and due to his deviated septum was unable to clear any of the mucus in his sinus cavity. After some antihistamines, antibiotics and spending the night at the dog hospital, Paolo was released the following morning feeling much better. That damn dog!

I haven't mentioned Bruco in a while because he's on my shit list right now. He's been acting up big time lately. I think he senses the new baby coming and knows that he'll have to share me with yet another creature. In the past month Bruco seems to have forgotten all basic commands such as sit, stay and come. I can't turn my back for a second without Bruco stealing whatever food is in Currier's hand or on his plate. He's been snapping at strangers and after taking him for his 45 minute evening walk he usually comes home and then craps on the bathroom floor. It's beneath him to shit outside. I swear he thinks he's human. I have news for him though. I'm hiring an obedience trainer and putting a stop to this behavior. That damn dog!

No comments: